Composite (or plastic) platform MTB pedals have been on a steady increase in popularity over the past few years. Traditionally those rubbish plastic pedals that come with your shiny new bike are usually the first thing to go, in favour of something metal with a bigger platform and extra grip. But plastic is making a come back and here is why…
- Value: they’re cheap. Well compared to the alloy bigger brothers anyway. As an example Burgtec’s MK4 Composite pedals cost £44.99, nearly a third less than their alloy Penthouse MK5 offering at £119.99.
- Strength: plastic pedals can take plenty of beatings and still run true. Advancements in composite materials, meaning strength is no longer an issue. I have seen plenty of riders have some horrific pedal strikes, yet their composite pedals still came out the other side.
- Metal pins: most plastic pedals use the same pins that are in the alloy offerings meaning they are grippy. No more slipping on rubbish plastic pins in the wet.
- Weight: for the weight weenies out there, plastic pedals are lighter!
- Longevity: composite pedals look better for longer. Other than silver alloy pedals, any coloured alloy pedal look pretty tatty quite quickly after a few rock strikes. As the colour is injected into the composite mould, any rock strikes will not look half as bad on a plastic option over a metal.
Our favourite composite platform MTB pedals:
OneUp Components Composite Pedals
A firm favourite here at Grip & Pedal, the OneUp Components plastic pedal offering, boasts a huge platform and 10 per side metal pins. Available in 6 colours at £49.50.
At £44.99 the Burgtec MK4 Composite pedals stand as our best value for money plastic pedals. Available in their 8 standard colours, you can match these up with the popular Burgtec grip options.
Based on the super popular DMR Vault pedal, the DMR V11 pedal sports the largest platform in our composite pedal line up. Fully serviceable and available in 8 colours, on sale for £49.99.
At 340 grams the Race Face Chester pedals are the lightest composite pedal in our line up. With 8 fully replaceable pins and a generous platform, at £47.99 they are worthy option for your next choice of pedal.